Tonight my family and I will be having Carnitas, tortillas, guacamole, red pickled onions, and this wonderful slaw. This recipe was originally from Emeril’s California Fish Tacos and Tequila Lime Slaw, with some adaptations on my end.
So, here’s my variation:
- 6-8C slaw – you can slice your own cabbage or buy 1 bag of green slaw and 1 bag of red cabbage slaw and mix them
- 1 sweet pepper, I prefer orange or red, or use 1/2 of each
- 1-2 serrano chili peppers, seeds removed and finely diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
Mix it all together in a large mixing bowl
For the dressing:
- Zest of 1 Lime and Juice of 2 Limes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. honey
- Salt & Pepper to taste.
OPTIONAL: 2 tbsp. tequila mixed into the dressing (from the original recipe)
Whisk it all together and pour over the slaw. Blend well and chill for at least 1 hour. Mix again before serving
This slaw is a wonderful side dish with tacos-beef, chicken or pork, carnitas, or for that matter, great on pulled bbq pork or with any picnic meal. It is crunchy and flavorful and maintains it’s flavor and color since it doesn’t have any mayo. Can be served either chilled or at room temperature.